I've got my plane ticket and new luggage and I'm getting ready to go live with my husband in England. It has been a very long, expensive and difficult process but we are finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
- I have been living with my parents and then friends for a total of a year and seven months, which hasn't been easy for any of us.
- I have submitted my letter of resignation and presented my employer with a document and resources regarding UK taxes and being an independent contractor in the UK hoping that they will need my services after I move.
- I had to apply for my settlement visa, which was probably one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do. It took us months to get the proper paperwork together. For more details, see my post The Visa Application.
- I have been taking trips back and forth to my storage unit going through my things, throwing things away, giving boxes upon boxes to Goodwill. Today I had the ReStore pick up my furniture. Months ago I even gave my truck to charity.
None of these things have been very easy for me to do but I manage to get this stuff done. I plan on working from my UK home in the area of Salesforce consulting and administration. I am very good at what I do and I absolutely love it! I'm hoping to find some work as a consultant or administrator when I get settled.
My days in the US are numbered... here is what we have planned:
- Feb 1: Vernon arrives in Upper Michigan but very late in the evening.
- Feb 2: Vernon helps me move out of my friends' house.
- Feb 3: Early morning trip down to Madison, WI to spend time with my family
- Feb 10: Back to Upper Michigan to visit with friends and co-workers.
- Feb 12: Head across the UP and over the Mackinac bridge to spend time with my daughter in Kalamazoo, MI.
- Feb 14: Visit more family in Detroit area.
- Feb 15: Non stop flight from Detroit to London.
So there you have it. My schedule for my last few weeks here. I'm worried I wont see everyone I want to see but I promise that I'll be back someday to visit.
There are a few things I haven't quite figured out yet. If you happen to have any advice, experience or input please let me know!
- Banking. I have yet to talk to my credit union about keeping me on as a member but we'll see what happens. I have to have an American account in order to receive payment from my American clients and take care of my ongoing American expenses.
- Mail. I've been looking at these mail scanning/forwarding companies and the security part makes me nervous. One I've been looking at in particular is Mailbox Forwarding. I really need to make a decision on this soon.
- Website. I need to create a website for my Independent Contractor status and I'm not even sure where to start. I have a Google+ account and there is a way to add business information. I need a new email address too.
The worst part of this is leaving my daughter. She's an adult in college and finishing up her last year but it has always been just the two of us. Soon she will be venturing out on her own finding out who she wants to be, where she wants to live and what she wants to do. This decision of whether to move or not has been a difficult one but Vernon has made it very clear to us that she will always be welcome to visit or stay any time she wants.
My Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin links are located in the upper right under my profile photo if you are interested in keeping in touch or utilizing my Salesforce expertise.
WISH ME LUCK!